Lovely sunbeam

Lovely sunbeam
Lovely Sunbeam (and Annierose) 88-99-PF

Friday 22 April 2016

camshaft endfloat


While I was trying to determine the cam spec - I had noticed that there seemed to be excessive endfloat.

The thrust plate would not hold the cam in place and the only thing stopping the cam gear from grinding into the block was the camshaft end bearing core plug.

Eventually it was noticed that the cam gear shaft was the same diameter as the chamfered spacer.
The cam gear was removed (for the first time) and it was then possible to see the evidence that the original cam gear had a much larger diameter shaft.

If I reversed the cam gear on the cam then I was able to prove I would have the correct amount of endfloat.

As I haven't removed the gear or thrust plate until now - I haven't lost or misplaced anything. Note the Chamfered spacer is on the wrong way round in the photo.

I will try to make a bush to fit or find a suitable thrust washer.

No comments:

Post a Comment